April 24, 2009

Real Raw Chocolate Pudding










as if louisiana isn't faux tropical enough in my mind pile on top memories of the infamous coconut. i can't remember how old i was, but every once in a blue moon my father would buy a coconut. hm. interesting now that i think about it. interesting because i have no idea what the intention was there. my mom loathes coconut, she claims it expands in her mouth (?). just the hearing the word and she makes a face. that and rootbeer - i don't know, but i have to agree: rootbeer is crazy stuff.
anyways back to my father and coconuts. i have a distinct memory lodged in my mind of one night that my brother and i stood around my dad as he literally hacked away at a coconut. it was disastrous. i think there was a hammer and a drill involved, i think. i just remembering that it went on for a while. we stood there watching my dad in his standard v-neck white undershirt reassuring us every now and again that it is "always a bit tricky" to open up one of these little guys. i felt like we were doing something really exotic. you know because it was a coconut and they are only found on islands.right. and they always fall on people's heads.
so in memory of my father's adventures with coconuts and my on going attempt to get healthier deserts while flying solo i have finally (!) made the chocolate pudding recipe from pure food and wine (a raw living foods restaurant here in NYC & my hands down favorite place to eat at). and i have to admit as i stood there in my robe sawing away at my young coconut with my completely inappropriate knife, i totally felt like my father.
oh and by the way: this pudding is delicious! i would take it over regular any day.

















REAL RAW CHOCOLATE PUDDING

1c coconut meat
1/4c + 2 tbs coconut water
1/4c maple syrup
2 tbs agave nectar (can add another tbs if desired)
1/4c dutch processed cocoa powder
1 tbs vanilla

*drop all of the ingredients in a strong blender and "liquify" until smooth and creamy - add more coconut water if you feel it is too thin.
* chill to firm up a bit, otherwise you can chow down immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment